July 18, 2005

Rings around the Outside; 62

Well, it's been a fairly odd weekend. Odder than usual.

Friday was Catherine's 18th - Her, Ian, and I went out to the (ridiculously overpriced) Richard Pearse for tea, and then went to Kale's party. The two of them are fairly easy drunks, which was fun to watch. I was both impressed and disappointed in myself - I remained almost sober the entire night, yet I also continued drinking for most of it. Yay me, didn't even have the slightest hangover (although the couch at Claire's was mightily uncomfy). Oh, and there was also pool played on a snooker table... Damn, that table was huge.

Next morning, I woke up and went for a walk around town. I bought Pearl Jam's rearviewmirror for $13, and Kings of Leon's Aha Shake Heartbreak for $7. I especially like Aha Shake Heartbreak, it makes me want to bounce in my seat.

After buying them I went back to the flat, and there was a strange man watching TV. I think he's Claire's flatmate's boyfriend, he seems to know me, but I don't know him. I rang home, there was nobody there. So I went and saw Catherine at her work (on the other side of town); she was feeling pleasantly ill, and we went & got McDonalds in her break. I rented The Life of David Gale and 28 Days Later - David Gale made me cry (Yay Kevin Spacey, favourite actor), and 28 Days Later was all goodly.

Actually, after watching David Gale I went to imdb.com, to see what other people thought, and one of the reviewers said "Kevin Spacey was very good and very convincing as David Gale". Hey? "Very Convincing" like something you say to a small child after they've just been fake crying. It's just like saying "Hey, that was alright, but I knew it wasn't real and in reality I was just waiting for the movie to finish." You don't go to a movie to wait for it to finish. You go there for an experience. Ugh, I hate it when people who don't know a thing talk about how some actors suck, when really it's because they didn't like the character they played of the way they prtrayed things or even the facial expressions they used. It's just so... mindless, and unintelligent. 'Acting' is a bad thing for a (naturalistic, which is what most movies are) actor, because it involves falling into a routine, and thinking too much about how to do things. What's important is Being, and actually feeling the things as the character feels them and seeing things as the character sees them. Being able to cry on impulse does not make one a good actor; becoming another person completely is what does. Which,m I suppose, is what 'Convincing' is, but that word is just so... weak.

Rewind.

Anyway, I smell wet, and I need to get some wood. See y'all later.

4 Comments:

At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Future perfect said...

read the bloody thing spike I spelt your name fine (i think?). Tuesday sounds good. which means my phone should be ringing about .. . ... now. And i'll be showering in t minus 14ish. Would u believe i've bin dressed 3 times this holiday's. Sorry i'll stop using this thing as a messenger

 
At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the previous thing was from the previous things lot of things.

 
At 8:17 PM, Anonymous I'm Irish said...

I feel your drinking , pain? I've never had a hangover to the extent of any more than being a bit wobbly. Though I have on ocaisions woken up still drunk. but never get that drunk even after finish one night with four three wise men.
Frustrating, yet pleasant.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Al said...

Might be Thursday night. Mum's had a bad back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home